Andrew Bird, Chair of LARAC welcomes you to the LARAC website. LARAC, The Local Authority Recycling Advisory Committee, is an organisation for Local Authorities run by people working in Local Authorities.
LARAC was formed in 1985 to represent the emerging voice of local government recycling officers. Full Membership is open to any local authority within the UK. We represent local authority views in waste and recycling issues, and we are run by an Executive of 20 local authority waste management officers. We have members from authorities in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales including associates from the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. Associate membership is open to any Local Authority with a waste function within the EU.
To be the leading voice for local authorities on recycling, waste and resource management.
To influence UK waste policy for the benefit of our members in a manner which advances the waste and reource industry; to provide membership services in a cost effective and quality manner so that our members are well informed and to provide premier local authority national waste conferences that act as a catalyst for information dissemination and promotion of good practice within local authorities.
Our Core Principles
LARAC believes that all material currently see as 'waste' is in fact a potential resource and that it should not be disposed of by any means that does not recover a significant proportion of its value.
Responsible stewardship of the environment is extremely important. Applied to municipal waste management this means that:
- Waste generation must be stopped at source wherever possible and products should be designed for durability, repair and re-use
- Discarded materials should be collected so that they can be recycled or composted
- Where recycling isn’t possible material should be processed so as to recover useful stable organic material and/or energy
- Use of landfill should be reduced to the absolute minimum
How do we intend to achieve our vision?
With Information Provision
- LARAC Annual Conference at greatly reduced membership rates
- Free Conferences in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales
- Support for regional meetings
- LARAC OnLine – our monthly email service
- Policy Briefing - bi-monthly legislation update
- Partners Digest - 4-monhly communication vehicle for our partners
- LARAC website – with a members-only discussion area
- The Loop – our quarterly magazine
- Free vacancy advertising
- Provision of information, support and good practice
- Policy responses to government consultations
- Timely meeting reports published in the members' area of the website
By Engaging and Campaigning
- Shaping policy and legislation through advising government and industry
- Building relationships with policy makers
- Influencing European policy development
- Providing informed and realistic viewpoints for the media
Our plans for the future
LARAC is an organisation which gives local authority recycling officers influence.
In order to steer it's development the LARAC Executive Committee, at its Annual General Meeting in October 2012, agreed the Development Plan 2013 -2014. We are in the process of producing our next development plan for 2015-2018.
LARAC Constitution LARAC's constitution. LARAC is an unincorporated voluntary organisation.
The minutes from our latest AGM are available on the Exec Meetings page in the Members' area of the website
We hold 4 Executive meetings a year
9 Exec members are elected from the equivalent of the former English Government Office regions
3 Exec members are elected from the Devolved Administrations of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales
6 Exec members are elected on a national basis
2 Exec members are co-opted by the Exec
All Exec members are elected from WDA, WCA and Unitary authorities.
- Substantial discount to the annual Conference (£99 for the past two years for 1 overnight, 2 days' conference and the Awards - we don't think you can beat this, anywhere!)
- Opportunity for newer members of staff to apply for a free, all expenses paid scholarship place to the LARAC Annual Conference.
- Monthly email magazine LARAC OnLine
- Bi-monthly Policy Briefing
- Quarterly magazine The Loop
- Support for regional meetings and discounts to courses and other conferences
- Network of information, support and good practice
- Policy responses to government consultations
- Free vacancy advertising on the website and in LARAC OnLine
And - access to the Members' Forum of the website where, among other things, you can ask advice/share experiences with other officers and keep up-to-date by reading our reps' meeting reports from key liaisons.
Why not join?
Contact Lee Marshall, Chief Executive Officer , tel: 01982 382 650